A Student’s Guide to
Danbury, Connecticut
 

Marian Anderson Studio

The Farm:
In 1943
Marian Anderson and her husband, Orpheus Fisher, bought a farm on Joe's Hill Road in Danbury. Marianna Farm was their home from 1943 to 1993. Mr. Fisher build a music studio there for his wife where she could rehearse her singing.

Location:
The company that developed Marianna Farm generously donated Marian Anderson's Studio to the Danbury Museum so as to preserve Marian Anderson's musical legacy. It was moved to the Museum's Main Street property in 1999. You can visit the studio at the Danbury Museum on Saturdays.

Cost:
The Danbury Museum spent several years fund raising for money to move and restore the studio. Thanks in large part to a grant from the State of Connecticut, the Museum has renovated and restored the exterior and interior of the studio.

Thanks to private donations the Museum installed a permanent exhibit celebrating the life and accomplishments and legacy of Marian Anderson.

 
Find more photos of the StudioPhotos/Pages/anderson_studio.html
Take a photo tour of the Anderson StudioPlaces_Podcast/Entries/2009/10/24_AndersonStudio.html